Monday, December 14, 2015

What to do with old blankets?

So, this is a random post, but I have a quandry.  I have this huge bag FULL of blankets.  Not a one of them fits Violet any more.  There are some really nice ones.  I have no desire to go through the hassle of posting them on a swap site or anything.  What I would really love to do it donate them to some program somewhere.  They are all around 69" to 72", I believe.  Over the years I have collected these as she has gone from the skinny baby horse she was to the fantastically fit, muscled horse that she is now.  I probably have three sheets and two medium weight blankets, as well as at least two cotton knit coolers?  And countless baby pads, because I don't use them anymore.  Some of these have embroidery from other horses on them.  Some have where the embroidery has been removed.  When I first got her, she was given a whole set of hand-me-down blankets that I painstakingly spent time removing the embroidery on those that I could.  Then when my trainer died, I was allowed to outfit her in what had been the "show" blankets.  All of them outgrown.


Example of old sheet that no longer fits (but not one I'm getting rid of)
This would be one she has since outgrown.  Or maybe it doesn't match the team colors.  Either way, I'm storing it in the garage and it needs a new home.

Don't get me wrong.  The pony is not hurting for blankets.  She has two Kool koats, a sheet, a medium weight stable blanket, and a medium weight turnout with a full neck.  She also has a felt cooler.  All of these are in team colors and monogrammed either with her name or the team name, of course.  And I have a wool cooler that I have never actually been able to use.  If it gets cold enough here to need such a thing, I'm generally not riding in it. And truthfully, it's a little small, but I refuse to get rid of it.

Pony in her stable blanket in Aiken
So I would love to get rid of these others that just do not fit.  I just have no idea how to go about doing it.

2 comments:

  1. hm, i would suggest finding either a rescue organization or a small lesson program that needs resources. you could google to see if there's a local CANTER, tho i think they primarily handle ottbs (which might be too big for your size blankets). but maybe they might know of other programs that would accept the donation?

    ReplyDelete