Monday, December 7, 2015

Rocking Horse Schooling Show: Part I

I managed to make it to the barn this weekend.  I put on my boots (woohoo!), packed up the boy in the truck, and away we went.  It was his first time to the new location, and only his second show, and it was a big one, with over 200 riders.  I have never seen the show grounds so busy for a schooling show.  I volunteered us both to assist if needed, but because of Violet's ride times, we weren't needed.

Of course, we were running a bit behind by the time we got up, showered, stopped at the Dunkin' for coffee and headed out.  I made good time, and managed to spy Marcy warming up Violet in the dressage area.  Of course, she would have to be in the dressage ring furthest from parking.  So I parked the truck, told the boy there was no time for a potty break, and started sprinting hop-walking out to the dressage area.  Fortunately for us, Ginny pulled up in the golf cart and gave us a ride.

Marcy was working Violet quietly, doing transitions, with the occasional pat.  I thought to myself that she looked like maybe today would be a short-necked day, but I should know better than that.  Once she hit the sand, it lengthened to a more normal length.

We used to have an issue with Violet disappearing as soon as you hit the sand. And you couldn't correct her, or else she would throw her head in the air and get hollow backed.  You just had to push what you had, without getting too pushy.  Marcy said the first time she rode her in a dressage test that it was very strange. Just all of a sudden she was not in front of her at all.  She would tuck and go through the motions, but you couldn't push for anything.  But since she has been schooling on the sand, that hasn't been as much of an issue.  Marcy says she still does it sometimes, just to remind everyone she's a red-headed girl, but she does work through it.
We have proper bend!
Saturday's test was very well ridden.  Ginny got it on video, but I haven't seen it yet.  She didn't bounce in contact much that I could see, and her canter transitions were really quite, which is nice.  I thought her free walk was really nice, with a few steps of her really reaching out and down, but Marcy says she's done better. That's a movement that I always struggle with.  I comments that she either isn't reaching down enough, or that she's slow and pokey.


Stretching at the walk.



The only movement that she scored an 8 on was the one that she traditionally does well with, the halt!  She's really good at that one.  But she did get mostly 7s and ended up scoring a 30, putting her first in her division. It was the second lowest score out of two divisions at BN, or 30 riders.
Nice halt!
Marcy had other riders to school, so I took Violet as she strutted walked back to the barns.  She seemed very pleased with herself and looks fantastic.  I untacked her, and she wasn't even sweaty.  As I tucked her back into her stall to relax before the jumping phases, she looked so happy!  I'm so glad I made the decision to move her back here.  I may not get to ride as much as I'd like, but her happiness is everything.

2 comments:

  1. oooh she looks great! i know exactly what you mean about the horse 'disappearing' and getting totally behind the rider - that's exactly what my mare does haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often get questions about what breed she is because, as one judge called her, she's all curvy. She does paint a pretty picture, and she gets better every time.

      Delete