Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Back in the Saddle

Saturday, I packed up the mother and the fiance and we took a road trip down to the barn.  It has been about two and a half years since my mom saw me ride, and we may have just started getting connection at the time.  And the boy hadn't seen me do dressage in an actual ring before, so I was excited to hear what they had to say.  And of course excited that I might actually get some pictures.

And with the pictures will go a bit of a disclaimer.  I was shocked and appalled when I saw them, as I have apparently grown an inner tube around my middle.  This is not acceptable.  I know this.  The elliptical was moved from the garage into the house yesterday.  Some changes are being made, because this cannot continue.  It's not fair to the pony, and I am not comfortable.  So anyway...

When we got there, it was a beautiful day; about 80, but with a nice cool breeze.  Marcy was already getting Violet groomed, so I put on my boots (yay!), helmet and gloves and hopped on.  Mom walked up to the ring with me.

Walking up to the ring with my Mom.

We started as usual by dropping stirrups to stretch me out a bit. Hard to believe I was out of the saddle for a month!

Drop those stirrups and s-t-r-e-t-c-h those legs.

We worked on getting the shoulders on the path that we were walking, and keeping Violet marching along.  I have to say, her walk feels very different than it used to.  I can feel her really stepping up under herself.  We worked in the corners a bit, counter bending a little on the straight areas when tracking to the left in order to keep her straight and not bulging out with her right shoulder.

Round pony is round.

I picked up my stirrups and did the same some more, then we went to the trot and worked on the same things.  Her first couple of steps in the trot are always an issue, and I worked hard to remember to move the bit slightly from my shoulders in order to encourage her to step up into the trot without throwing her head in the air.
Head a little up, mouth a little open.  Could be a little braced, you think?  But at least she has the fantastic tail flip!

I, of course, fight my left hand wanting to go down and out, but I only remember her saying to pick it up once or twice, which either means I'm getting better about it, or there are other things I was worse at.  It may be that, since I was working much harder at getting her right shoulder where it should be, that I wasn't feeling the need to compensate for her bulgy-ness by leading her around with the left rein.

Working on getting into the corner.
We also worked on doing lots of changes, whether it be changes of direction or transition up or down, or maybe a leg yield or a circle, or a combination of all of the above.  This is to keep the pony-brain actually listening instead of trying to guess what I might want next.  We are working now in 15 meter circles instead of 20.  I can remember the days when I thought 20 meter circles were so small they were scary.  And lopsided.

We then added in some canter.  In order to get the canter transition, we went on a 20 meter circle at the trot, went down to the walk, went back up to a light trot and a few strides later, asked for canter.  This lef to some really nice, quiet canter transitions.  Her right lead canter has always been easier for me, but it's so much more balanced and soft now.  And I was actually keeping her going in that one.

Look!  She's tracking up!

I have much more trouble to the left.  I am still working on getting the rhythm of the leg cues to keep her going and to get her to turn.  Turning to the left at the canter has always been an issue because of that right shoulder.  But it's better.  Much, much better.  And she did much better at coming back after the canter and listening to what I was asking her to do, rather than jump to canter everytime I put my leg on.  And for the first time, I was able to actually feel using my shoulder blades to steer her shoulders at the canter.

My seat felt like it was right, like I wasn't perching as bad as usual.  I only remember a couple of times at the trot being told to sit up taller.  And I was able to use my post to get more trot on the long walls.  I know I have been told since the beginning of my time with Marcy to use my seat to regulate the trot, but I have just never developed a feel for that.  I understand it in theory, and I must do it ok, because Marcy will tell me I did good when she tells me to do it, but I've not really felt it.  I did this weekend, thought.

Marcy has done a fantastic job with Violet, and I can tell just from my one little ride.  She says she is trying to keep Violet one step ahead of my in learning so that I don't have to try to figure it out at the same time Violet is.

After we were done, Mom, the boy and I walked back to the barns together.  The boy said he could see when I got some "stuff" but didn't quite know what all I was doing.  My mom just kept saying how proud she was and how wonderful I was riding compared to how I was the last time I rode.  And then she got wistful and said "I wonder what could have been if you'd had a Marcy when we had Frisky."  It's a nice thought, and I know it would have been great to have a Marcy around to teach me when I had my pony, but it all worked out the way it should have.  Hopefully the next time Mom comes around, she'll be able to see me jump!
My favorite.  She has relaxed into the bridle and is reaching under herself.  Only took about half an hour to get to it, lol.

Oh, and did you catch it?  Violet has decided that neoprene brushing boots are acceptable for every day riding now!  Still no leather open front jumping boots, but at least we aren't having to deal with polo wraps every day anymore!

2 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures - looks like a great ride! I also love the idea of using my shoulder blades to direct the horses. That makes a lot of sense and seems like it would make it easier to hold a more correct position when thinking like that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes sense to me. Even my mother, who is a non-horsey person, said she could tell the difference.

      Delete