Monday, November 23, 2015

Team mate #1

Since we had some exciting news this weekend, I thought I would start introducing my team members.
Me and Violet, Marcea and Pearl, Caroline and Charlie, Melissa and Ice (unfortunately, Ginny was not able to make it schooling that day)
 So this is my team, or at least the core of my team.  There are four of us riders (three of which actually compete, I consider myself a team member that does not compete.)  There are others, but we four have been together for several years now and work pretty well as a group.

So the news we received this past week is that one of my team members has been named the #1 USEA Adult Amateur Beginner Novice Rider for 2015!  In, like, the whole country!  Her name is Virginia (Ginny) Daughtry, and her mount is Pearl Jam (Pearl, Miss Pearl, Pearly-May, Pearly-Ann, etc.).  She and Pearl have been together for...oh...three years now?

Ginny and Pearl
Pearl is a purpose bred Thoroughbred that came from Karen O'Connor.  She is a beautiful, full-bodied girl, that, unlike most Thoroughbreds, seems to be on a perpetual diet.  She is a mare, but is a very good girl, once you get on her.  Her favorite past-time is eating.  And maybe napping.  She has a huge stride that Ginny constantly has to monitor on cross-country, and is a beautiful mover.  Earlier this year she got an 18 in dressage at one of her events (there's a reason she's a winner, folks).  She is a bit cold-backed and girthy, but when you are as good as she is, these things can be overlooked.  She and Ginny make a perfect team.

4th place at AECs 2015

Ginny is a genuinely nice person.  She is considerate and humble, and a beautiful rider.  We have lessoned together in the past, and we always seem to pick up on things from each other.  She, like me, is a professional in the financial world, and works crazy hours.  Because of this, she, also like me, only gets to ride on the weekends, unless there is a holiday.  When I say crazy hours, I mean crazy.  For example, she drove overnight from Texas after the AEC's to hop on a airplane that morning for work.  Certain times of the year, just remembering that a 20 meter circle does not have corners is a challenge.  We often commiserate about this, since we are both in the same boat.  But she handles it all with a great attitude, and a fantastic smile.

Ginny and Pearl, AECs 2015

Ginny is the mother of two of the most adorable puppies ever, Eli and Murphy, and she is very rarely at the barn without them.  They are two of the happiest little fluff-balls I've ever seen.  I wasn't even aware long-haired dachsunds were a thing until Eli made his first appearance.  

Eli and Murphy on a coursewalk
I am truly blessed to be part of a team of incredible women that all share a love of our ponies, and who are also such a fun group to be with.  And to be able to say I ride with the #1 BN Adult Amateur in the country.

Ginny and Pearl at the AECs.  One of my favorite pictures of them!
Here's to 2016, when I look forward to watching Ginny and Pearl make the move up to Novice!

2 comments:

  1. wow congrats to them!! definitely quite the award :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry I missed your birthday! I hope you got past all the kitty drama and were able to have a bit of fun!

      Delete