Friday, November 6, 2015

Meet my trainer

I know most people out here in blogger land try to do the whole anonymous thing.  But the truth is I find that tiresome.  And I am not technologically skilled enough to keep my name off of things.  If you want to know who I train with, it wouldn't be difficult to find out.  And then I would have to be careful of pictures of the pony in her team gear and all that, so I just asked if she minded if I revealed who she was.  (Of course, this was after I fessed up to my team that I actually have a blog, since I hadn't told anyone about it.)  Her response?  "Sure, I don't mind.  I'm proud to be your trainer."

So, without further ado, meet my trainer.

Marcea Funk with Double Rivers Basil Brush 2013 - photo credit to eventingnation.com

This is Marcea Funk, also known as Marcy, owner and operator of Market Street Equestrian.  Marcy has experience up to the 2* level, and is a fantastic trainer of both weenie adult amateurs and ponies, alike. Don't let the blond hair and youthful good looks fool you, folks, this woman is bad ass.

Marcea Funk riding former sales horse, Lucero
Marcy has the uncanny ability to see through the fog that sometimes obscures my brain.  Since she works exclusively with adults that have other jobs, and typically those that have busy times, she is able to ascertain if today is a day where we will simply be happy to watch her ride, or if we really need to go through the exercise that is taking 20 minutes to determine what is left and what is right, and what a figure 8 actually looks like.  And she doesn't giggle if we have to tell her we need a break because the 15 meter circles are causing us to get dizzy.

She learned fairly quickly how hard she can push me and when the voices in my head get too loud, and is not afraid to yell over them.  She also knows when I need a quick smack to the back of the head to bring me out of whatever it is I am obsessing focused on.  

Marcy putting V through her paces during a red-head day
Pats for the red-headed girl
She also knows when to do the same thing for the red-headed girl that she took on when she agreed to be my trainer.

Seriously, though.  When I moved to Jacksonville, I was told that there was this great young trainer at the barn, but not to get too attached because we were going to lose her at some point to the Olympics.  She was currently training at Dave and Karen O'Connor's, but would be back at the end of the summer.  That winter, I talked to her about helping me out with V, who I was truly afraid of at that point, and who had been out of work for several months.  We started with lessons January 2011 at the walk.  Walk.  Not Walk-trot, not walk-trot-canter, walk.  I have to give her all the credit, because I would definitely not be comfortable jumping 2'6" courses and even contemplating cross country without her and all the work she has put into both me and the pony.

Marcy & Riley Rocking Horse Fall 2015

Marcy & Riley Rocking Horse Fall 2015
  Marcy works hard, and I know Violet is in very good care with her, as she treats her as if she owns her.  I hope that at some point, that prediction that we lose her to the Olympics actually happens.  She deserves it.

2 comments:

  1. having a trainer you trust and respect is so critical - so glad to hear that Marcy's program is working so well for you and V!

    ReplyDelete