Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Recovery

So, a week ago I had surgery to remove the thing growing in my foot.  I must say I was pretty scared.  I went to work that morning, which was fun considering I was not allowed to eat or drink anything from midnight the day before.  I think by the time I left work at 10:30, I was ready to chew my own arm off.

Vulcan toes, before surgery

I had someone from work drop me off, and the boy was getting off early to come pick me up, so I was on my own.  I got checked in and changed (why do I have to remove all my clothes to have foot surgery again?) They took me back to the OR, put a little happy juice in my IV and away I went.  I woke up while they were stitching me up.  The doctor said they removed a nueroma about the size of an almond, and he showed me a picture.  It was easily 3 cm long and 1 wide.  He also said I wouldn't remember that, but I did.

The. Best. Cheez-Its. Ever.
They were nice enough to bring me Cheez-Its and my phone (see Cheez-It pic), where I texted the boy that I was ready to go home now.  I had some juice and snacks and only had to wait a few minutes.  Then he took me home.
Exciting new footwear.
 Where I promptly put myself on the couch.  There was no real pain, because the lidocain or whatever they used was still active.  I got up and hobbled around to the bathroom and thought, this won't be too bad!

My position for the foreseeable future.
 Then the lidocain wore off.  I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep in the bed, because I had to keep my foot elevated and I didn't want it to get rolled over on, so I stayed on the couch.  When I got up to go to the bathroom (doctor's orders to stay hydrated), the numb stuff had worn off, and I ended up having to crawl to the bathroom because I could not stand on that foot, and hopping was not an option.  So crawl I did.  By the second day, that was better and by that afternoon, I could hobble upright.  By Friday, I moved to the bed at night, which was nice.  Saturday I actually did a chore or two (empty dishwasher and got the laundry out of the garage).  That meant Sunday I was good to go!  Wrong.  Grocery store wiped me out.  This whole time I could not take off the wrapping, and could not take a shower.  How I have missed my shower.


Purple toe (second one)
 So today was checkup day at the doctor's office.  My brother took me down there, because I was not cleared to drive.  The wrappings all came off, the doctor said it was good, the swelling is down.  He also said he was surprised by the size of the meuroma he took out, that most people would have been crippled with that and come to the doctor much sooner.  Like I said before, I'm pretty stoic.  Anyway, I'm cleared for the shower, and can go back to work Monday.  Should be able to put on a tennis shoe by next week sometime, and should not be on my foot for more than 2 hours at a time.  And have to keep it elevated when I can.  I'm still pretty sore, and don't see myself doing anything physical for quite some time.  Follow up is in two weeks.

So lovely.  Kind of looks like a dead thing...
Afterward, my brother took me to the farmer's market, where we bought boiled peanuts, white acre peas, green beans, eggplant and oranges, and then we headed home.  That was more than enough walking for me.  Now I'm back on my friend the couch, working my way through Game of Thrones.

And maybe registering Marcy to ride Violet at BN in the December schooling show, since I will not be able to participate.

2 comments:

  1. oh you poor soul - that looks awful :( incredible that the neuroma was so big too! glad to hear that the doctor is pleased with your recovery so far - hopefully that continues to be the case. also, fwiw, regarding elevating the foot in bed, i've taken one of the larger stiffer sofa back cushions into bed - it's the perfect height and length to support almost my full leg, and is stiff enough to protect from getting jostled around. good luck and heal quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea with the sofa cushion. And it's healing fine. I even think I'll have enough feeling in the bottom of my foot to know if my foot's in the stirrup!

      Delete