Thursday, November 5, 2015

My first jumper courses

Here's a little TBT.

In June 2013, I did my first stadium rounds.

Up to this point, I had done exactly one 18" vertical course in 2010.

Schooling for the big 18" hunter division in 2010

After that, I dropped back to the walk and started over.  We had shown a handful of times at local HJ shows, but only in walk-trot and crossrails.  And crossrails in those classes were seriously 8 inches tall.


See the fences behind us?  Yes, those were "jumps"
Violet had done one 2' and one 2'6" stadium round the year before with the working student from our farm, but it was my turn.

Foggy morning hack around the jump ring
I was terrified.  Everyone else in my barn thought I was insane.  The 2' was OK.  We didn't die.  I think we actually won the class.  But then they put up the 2'6" fences, and I thought I was going to throw up.  I actually cried.  I whined to everyone I could about how scared I was.  I tried to scratch out of the class, telling Trainer that I was just not ready for it.  She seriously looked at me and told me to shut up and get on my damned horse.  I am not one to argue with authority, so I did.  And I finished the course without dying.  I think I got second in that class, actually.  

I have made this same face since my first jumping picture at 10, but Violet looks fantastic!
I was embarrassed for crying, but proud that I ultimately got on and did it.  Violet was amazing, doing what she always does and talking care of me.  Shortly after that was the clinic I wrote about earlier, and for the last year, I have been pretty much fear free in the ring.  Trainer is happy because she just tells me what to do, and I no longer say "gee, that looks really big!"

Now, cross country is another matter entirely...

2 comments:

  1. good for you for getting it done! i'm a big believer in trusting my trainer to not put me in any situations i can't handle... but then again i also don't like to be pushed haha and probably would have *not* ridden in that class in similar circumstances... seems like it worked out well for you tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hate to go out of my comfort zone, but it doesn't take much to push me past it. My trainer has learned when a smack on the back of the head is warranted :-)

      Delete