Tuesday, October 27, 2015

What to do, what to do

Sorry, took a slight hiatus there.  Because of Violet's injury to herself (something she is not actually known for), she was only up for walking on Saturday.  I was not up for driving 4+ hours to go on a walk, partially because I had a house that I needed to finish painting and cleaning because I got renters that move in tomorrow (yay, income!)  So I stayed home.  So far, the blog that I started to go over training needs of the pony is not working out so well, since I moved her away from me.  I did get this picture from trainer on Saturday, though, and pony-girl has now fully recovered.

She does love a good dirt nap.
She usually goes out at night, but trainer was giving her some wandering time during the day to make sure she was OK.

So my quandary is, what do I do?  SO actually came out with "I actually think you having her there works out good for us, because then I don't feel guilty when I am slaving at work during the weekend."  Trainer made noises about possibly having room for her to stay after the beginning of December, which is when she is scheduled to leave.  Rocking Horse gets really full and actually has a waiting list starting in December, due to everyone coming down from up north.  At the same time, time is changing this weekend, and it will be much more difficult for me to actually ride her during the week, because work also picks up.

So I started making lists, because that is what I do.

Pro
1.  Violet is in good hands
2.  I don't have to feel guilty if I can't get there during the week due to work requirements
3.  She will get ridden during the Darkness
4.  She likes it
5.  More time for me at home during the week

Cons
1.  She won't be close to me
2.  I will only get to ride once or twice a week
3. 4+ hour drive (round trip)
4.  Lose place in current barn
5.  Having requirements to get there every weekend

The cost is about the same.  Maybe a bit less at RH because I get charged what she actually eats, which isn't much.  The big issue for me is losing my place where she is now.  I can't really move her anywhere else in town, or else I lose my trainer.  She is only training me in Jacksonville.  Everyone else has to go to her.  I do not have a trailer or truck, nor am I currently in a position to get one, so I can't trailer in for lessons.  At the same time, the place where I have her here is not the best situation.  The barn manager has done a good job with what she has, but she has a problem so many other trainers have.  She cannot say no.  As a result, the property is overpopulated, primarily with ponies.  She should really only have 10 horses or so, and that is what was there when I moved there, but she had about 17 when I left.  Violet cannot have private turnout, which I think she does better in, and the barn is dusty and makes her cough if she has to stay in.  There is also nowhere to ride other than the ring.  Everywhere else I have been, we could at least ride around the fields or paddocks after a lesson, and there I can't even do that.  Violet struggles to not be ring bound as it is.  But it is close and easy to get to, and they don't mind if I have a different trainer.  So I don't know.  I'm just not sure what I should do.

Anyone have any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. i'm too new as a follower to offer much in the way of advice - other than i sympathize with your quandary, and would point out that there seems to be an omission from your pro/con list: what are your goals? and how will her living at either location affect your specific goals (short term, long term, whatever they may be). good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely give me something to think about. I don't really have plans other than to enjoy my horse. I'll have to ruminate on that a bit.

      And you are my only official follower, lol.

      Delete
    2. enjoying your horse is always an excellent goal :)

      Delete