Thursday, October 15, 2015

Ice boots and splints

So, as I mentioned in my last post, Violet has a splint on her left front leg.  We believe it probably happened when she wrenched her shoe off.  I can only imagine that happened because her "herd" is a matched pair that she was added to.  They have made it known that she is the lowest on the totem pole, and all hay is theirs first.

The herd
Since her shoe was found right next to where the hay was, I can only imagine there were some evasive maneuvers when they were eating.  Violet has almost always been the one picked on in the field.  Part of the reason she hasn't been turned out with another horse for several years.

Anyway, the story of the pampered princess is one for another blog.

I sent my trainer a text message after spending some time looking up splints online.  I did fess up to this and acknowledged that I now know enough to ask annoying questions, such as:

  • Should we call the vet?
  • Do we need to wrap her legs in the stall during the day (night turnout)?
  • Are we worried it will recur?
  • Do I need to buy anything?
Basically, because we found this days after it happened, and it has no heat or swelling and she has never been lame, calling a vet is kind of pointless.  The pony does not really allow front standing wraps.  It's a really good opportunity for her to freak out the young women taking care of the horses, because she will come out of the stall lame until they are removed.  (And no, she won't wear open front jumping boots, either).  Not too worried about recurring, as long as we are careful.  She is getting a treatment of Surpass, and ice boots after jumping.  Other than that, just watch.

Now I have to find ice boots for when I bring her home.  Anyone have any experience with them?  I know a lot of people like the Ice Horse boots, but Violet is a large pony, and has short little legs.  She wears pony polo wraps, so I'm worried about size.  Anyone have experience on dealing with splints?  I just don't want Violet to be predisposed to injury now.

2 comments:

  1. my understanding of splints is pretty limited - but i think once they've gone cold you can pretty much not worry about them. might be something your vet would be happy to discuss over the phone tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm just a worrier, especially since Violet has (knock on wood) been so very healthy in the past.

      Delete