Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Lesson recap (and continued video woes)

First just let me say that so far, I am utterly frustrated with this whole blogging thing.  What is the point of getting video if you can't share it.

This is what I get when I put it up directly from the computer:


That was supposed to be the video of the first half of Marcea's test with Violet a couple of weeks ago.

This is what I get when I put it up from YouTube:


Yeah, so you get nothing.

On with the update.

The biggest takeaway from this lesson is the need to get my elbow back.  I am much better at bending them than I used to be.  Some reason, I always thought with my short, fat arms, and Violet's short neck, that I should hold them straight and in front of me.  No idea why, but it's what happens.  Now that I normally carry them bended, with my elbow at my beltloops, I have to work on bringing them back beyond that.  Not for a normal way of riding, really, but more for warmup when we are working on suppling.  If I exaggerate then, when it comes time for actual riding, I won't have to think about it so hard.

I see some of these in my future. 
The rhythm is supple to the inside by pulling the elbow back, then connect the outside by simply raising that shoulder blade.  So the outside shoulder blade is popping out your back, and the inside is going up.  This can be done at all three gaits.

Leg yield is a work in progress.  Could not seem to figure out how to go forward and sideways at the same time this week.  No fricking clue.  Marcy said it looked better than it felt, but I've seen the videos.  Didn't look so good either.

When working on canter transitions, work into the up so she steps up into the canter.  I also have to work harder at finishing the downward transitions, especially to the walk, otherwise she will just collapse to the walk.  This is especially hard for me when I'm tired.

Amazingly at the canter, if you continue to work the shoulder blades and elbows, the pony does not pop her right shoulder out.  We're still working on the straightness, which you would see if we could show video here, but trust me, we're still working on it.

Once we get the hands figured out, we have to get the motor running.  If she is not listening to the leg, don't nag.  Boot her once if needed to clarify what is being asked.  Or run your heel up her ribcage with the inside leg to get her to pay attention. Kind of like a tickle.  This actually worked quite well.

All in all, it was not an easy lesson.  It was hot.  Like what felt like hounds of hell, hot (although I know, nothing like we will see in August).  I know it just felt that way because it was the first real heat we've seen this year and I sit all day in an over-air-conditioned office, but good lord.  Halfway through I broke out in goosebumps, which is never good.  Need to remember to hydrate BEFORE I get there.  I just hate to drink on the 2 hour drive, or else I have to stop.

Anyway, there are definitely things I have to keep working on.  But there was so much GOOD in the lesson.  I ended with some great canter.  I actually sat the left lead canter, which is huge.  I'm getting the trot work better from the beginning.  And then I saw the video.

I know it's not much, but when you don't really see how you look but once every year or so, it can be pretty amazing to see the difference.  Violet is so very fancy.  And I manage not to ruin the picture, which is more than I could ask for.

So now I have my resistance band set up at my desk, and am working the muscles that impact the elbows (traps, I would guess) every time I stand up.

Firmly wrapped around the monitor holder upper thingy.
Sorry there's no video.  What can I say.  I'm technologically challenged, and have not been able to get any help, other than from Emma.  I tried, girl, I swear!

Just because I love this pic.

2 comments:

  1. Grrr uncooperative media!! You should be able to edit settings for the video and change it to "public" from private. That way anyone can watch. There's another way that people make the video unlisted so it doesn't show up in searches but idk how they do it.

    Anyways, so glad it was such a positive lesson!!! And yes, definitely hydrate ahead of time. Nobody wants a rider tippling off from wooziness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying, I'm trying!

      Yay to positive lessons! Soak up some of that Rolex atmosphere for me!

      Delete