Monday, November 21, 2016

Show Part II: Stadium

I know, it takes so long between posts.  Unfortunately, I have to do it at work since my computer at home has decided it will no longer recognize any internet connection.  Looks like my Dad bought me a winner last year.  But enough excuses.

So, I jump judged in the morning for the Intermediate, Prelim and Training divisions.  It was a beautiful day and a great way to keep my mind off of the events to come for me later in the day.  After judging (no significant issues on course for any of the levels, really.  A good start for a lot of people, or a good move up for some others), I went back to the barn, watched the Novice riders warm up for cross country and then head off for their courses, and then it was my turn.

We were actually a bit in a rush, to be honest, but I got dressed, Violet got dressed, and we headed to warm up.  Warm up was not too much of an issue.  Violet appeared to be game as ever, and jumping well, and we didn't run into anyone, so that's good.

Ok, so when I walked the course on Friday, I thought maybe my head would explode.  There were too many fences, they were set for Intermediate so they were huge, and I just couldn't wrap my head around them.  We walked it again Saturday afternoon once it was set more to something I could figure, and after watching all the riders ride the course, I wasn't so worried about getting lost.

I forgot to take a picture of the course map, but this is at least close.


The course.  Kind of.  As much as I can remember. 

It started with a straight 7 (for the pony) strides to a bending line, to a single to a bending line to a 2-stride combination, to another single, to a last bending line up the long wall.  There was not a single line that we had not practiced in our jump schools in the previous 4 months.

We got a good pace to the first two, then got a bit of a blooper stride to the third, just because I lost a bit of pace.  I recovered well in the bending line to put in a good jump to 4.  It's a really good thing we practiced all those bending lines.  I concentrated on my line, on staying upright, on keeping my leg on and supporting, on keeping my head up, on keeping Violet in the outside rein and staying soft on the inside, and keeping the outside shoulder on my line.  All those things we've worked on.  And I must say, my brain kept up pretty good.

We got to the bending line to the 2-stride and I was a girl on a mission.  The plan was to go to the outside of the first fence, around the bend to the inside of the combo, in order to get the strides and the line.  Not sure I quite got it, as I got to the first fence of the combination quite close, which meant I had to sit down and push for the 2-stride, to make up the ground I missed from landing short on the in.

This was the oxer before the 2-stride, and I was determined!  We were on a turn, so she's twisted a little, but oh so happy.

WE DID IT!

I swear to God and all that is holy, I had all I could do to keep my brain in my head when we got the 2 strides.  We've NEVER gotten the two strides on the first try.  I guess maybe I'm figuring this crap out, finally.

So, three more to go.  Don't forget to ride all the way through the last fence.

I did it, and as I trotted out of the ring, clean, they announced that I was JUST under time and therefore, double clear!

This may have been the second fence?  Maybe the 8th?  I can't remember.
So that moved me from 5th place up to 2nd, but I did not know that.  I had just an hour to get the pony back to the barn, cleaned up, tack switched, and head out to cross country.  I was riding on a cloud and more and more convinced we would actually get this done!

I promise to have the next update (cross country) done before I leave work tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. WOOO congrats on your double clear!!! That course sounds INTENSE lol, I would definitely freak trying to walk something set for intermediate lol. Seems like you made easy work of it tho - congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did good! It was the first time I really felt like we put a bunch of the pieces together. And my brain kept braining, which does not happen in times of stress.

      Delete