Monday, November 28, 2016

Saturday jump lesson

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Mine was good.  A little strange, since the new husband and I did it separately, but that's how we do.  I always go home for the big family holiday, and he works retail, so he had to work.  He spent the weekend working in our rental house (cleaning up after some nasty people...ick, and thank you honey) when he wasn't dealing with everyone out shopping.  I did not get to the barn this weekend, so instead, I bring you a post about last weekend's jump lesson...

It was a beautiful day.  The boy and I drove down to the farm, since it was his weekend off.  Lesson was scheduled at 1.

Pony was happily tucked in with her hay in her back on track sheet.

Got tacked up and ready to go for a jump school.  It's not very often we have the jump ring set up with all the fancy jumps left over from the show, so we should take advantage.

The boy and I walked up to the ring, where I discovered Violet was going to be a very willing partner. She just came out ready to work.  I worked on my own a bit on the shoulder in work that we did in our last dressage lesson, while waiting for Marcy to get there.  Of course, as soon as I see the golf cart heading our way, the jump ring is overtaken by a group of four riders and their coach, who were very nice and willing to share the ring.  They just wanted to run through the course, getting ready for the schooling show in December.


We stick to one end of the ring, continuing to work on the shoulder in, and putting Violet into that outside rein.  We did quite a bit of canter circle, down the fence line to the gate, teardrop loop back to the fence and counter canter.  Violet was fantastic.  When we were done warming up, Marcy said something about this being the day we really wanted to be in the dressage ring!

So we started over a small vertical.  Now mind you, this whole time I'm dodging elementary riders that are trying to do the course, sticking to the one fence in the ring that isn't on the course.


Back and forth figure 8 over the vertical, which is going up after each pass.  Concentrating on getting the bouncy canter before the fence.  In front of the leg and maybe a longer stride, but not faster, more up and down.  Concentrating on the counterbend to the fence to keep her in the outside rein.

Because in Florida, we have bugs at the same time clipped ponies wear sheets.
As soon as the other riders each did their course and exited the ring, we moved on, starting with the little vertical bending left to another vertical.  From there we moved to the other end of the ring and did three jumps on a semi-circle, vertical-vertical-vertical, concentrating on keeping her in the outside rein, which put us on a better line.  We did this forward and backwards, then continued to add.

Going to the right, we had the three verticals to an oxer, left hand turn to a vertical.

The first time we did it, Violet about jumped me out of the tack going over the oxer.  I lost all my reins and had to get myself back together for the 6 strides to the vertical.  I managed to get over it, but I lost my line.  We had to do the end of that again,  So we rode the oxer to the vertical again and Violet was spot on.  She is just jumping out of her skin right now.  Marcy said she was really tidy, especially over the last vertical.

I was hoping to be able to see it on video, as the boy was trying, but there was a mix up with the buttons on his phone and we missed it.  So no video.  But it was a great day, and a lot of fun.

A beautiful sunrise over Violet's field.  We are so lucky to call this home.

2 comments:

  1. aww bummer about no video! sounds like a great ride tho, i love that feeling when the horse is just *on*!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bummer for no video, for both me and the boy who stood there holding his phone up for 20 minutes, lol.
      And Violet seems to have found her "on" button. It's glorious!

      Delete