Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Dressage time - RH Fall show, Day 1

Ok, so We of course started out with dressage time.  I had a good, but not perfect dressage school on Friday.  Pony really seemed to be listening to me.    I was really able to push the trot especially, and worked some on the canter and getting her to give to me a bit.  I'm still figuring out the pressure needed between the reins for her.  Anyway, good school.  Nice night at Marcy's, no need for the early wakeup we usually have because the girls were working this weekend, so morning chores were mostly covered.

My ride time wasn't until after 2, so I spent the day wandering around kind of aimlessly.  Strange for me not to be working, but volunteer duties were covered.  Violet got braided and tucked back in her stall in her BOT and slinky for the day.  It was nice and cool, so she didn't get hot.

Super-pony just needs her cape!
Then came time.  I dressed up, put on my coat (surprisingly quite comfy), hopped oh so gracelessly into the saddle and headed up to the warm up area.  We had a little spook as we came around a trailer and Violet was confronted by her old nemesis, her shadow.  I was to take my test in front of someone I have tested with previously.  She's pretty well known in the area as being a hard judge.  But a fair and consistent one.  Just doesn't really give 20s.

Warm up was good.  Violet was able to ignore the other horses and OMG COWS across the street and pay attention to me, and I was able to pay attention to her and only her and that never happens.

We headed around the ring and then it was our turn.

There were a couple of places her head popped up and she was not as forward as I would like, but it felt good.  It was accurate.  I was able to get her back after a couple of moments of unsteadiness.  I actually smiled during the test.  And when I finished, there was clapping from my teammates that had come up to watch.  I can say I was proud.  There are always things to work on, but we fancy-pranced around in the white sand and actually kind of look like we belonged there.

I have included the video here.  I'm sorry, but I just cannot figure out how to get it to be the right direction.  If you are diligent, and really want to see, you can turn your head.  Sorry, but I'm just not adept at all this stuff.



So after our fabulous test, Violet got her braids out, was fed and turned out and we had a small gathering of people at the barn for a happy hour.  People included team members, parents and the show farriers (who do a fantastic job.  I can say that, since Violet sees them every 5 weeks).  It was nice and low key.


Curly head, post-braid, waiting on dinner
The next morning I got my test.  I scored a 32.3 which put me solidly in the middle of my class (5th out of 10), and was a full 8 points higher than the last test I rode and was easily my best score (Violet has one better score in the 20s with Marcea)!  We got nothing below a 6, and even got a 7 on one of our canters!  And of course, fixed our halt problem from our last test for an 8!


The best part by far was the comment written on the bottom by the judge.  "She has a wonderful attitude - you are lucky to have her.  Good Luck!".  Yes, everyone loves the pony, and it is really nice to have the judge recognize that she is special.


Yes, this special.
Derp.  Give me that apple, woman!

And oh so beautiful.


So that's how our first show experience started.  It's the only sideways video you get, but I do have some kick butt pro pictures already of the jumping, so that's to come.  Beginner Novice was the only division that only did dressage on Saturday.  Sunday coverage will come later this week.

2 comments:

  1. Woo congrats on showing such a big increase in your score from last time!! Can't wait to read about the jumping too!! Also FYI the video didn't work - said it was a duplicate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video didn't work for me :(

    I'm so glad you guys had a positive show outing - sounds like you two did really well! Can't wait to hear how jumping went.

    ReplyDelete