Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memorial Weekend

Memorial weekend was pretty good, overall.  My leg is good and I'm back to wearing pants, although still fighting to keep the dog from licking it after I put Mederma on it to keep the scarring minimal (hopefully).

Friday I left work just a tad early, and I don't really remember what I did, which means nothing, probably.  Except walk the dog.  I do a lot of that.  

Saturday I went to the barn and got an unexpected lesson from Marcy.  She taught three and was wiped out.  Her surgery is this week.  Violet was pretty good, although a bit distracted.  The schooling show was wrapping up and there were a lot of trailers leaving the property.  But mostly she was good. It's been a while since we've done a true dressage school and we worked on all the things we've been working on.  Getting the leg yield step into all transitions, up and down.  Sitting the canter.  Keeping hands closer together.  Using elbows more than you think you should.  Pushing into the contact.  It was good.

Sunday I slept in late, did laundry, talked to my mother, helped taste-test the goodies my brother was making for his girlfriend's birthday gathering, and cleaned the floor.  Luke (the dog) helped by eating an entire baguette, making my brother make another trip to the grocery.

 Monday we slept in a bit.  The boy worked close (his Memorial Day holiday is today), so we went to Waffle House for breakfast.  It was his first experience, and I think he liked it.  Hokey, I know, but how can you go wrong with eggs and hash browns.  Then we bought plants and mulch for the front walk and watched some of our current show, the Following.  Then he went to work and I went to the barn.

Where I was greeted with this as soon as I put Violet on the cross ties.



Yes, I forget, this is Florida, and you dare not put the ride off until the afternoon or you risk driving 4 hours for nothing.  The horses were not settled, and Violet acted flat out scared as soon as the rain started hitting the tin roof.  Now you cannot fool me.  I know she knows what rain sounds like on the roof.  But she was really freaked.  I had trouble getting her to walk back down the barn aisle to her stall.  She was all white eyed and freaky.  Not usual, so I listened to her and just put her away and waited.  Our help came about 45 minutes later.  It was still raining off and on, so I let Violet eat.


Can  you not see I'm trying to eat here?!  Or do you have something more?

When I finally called it and put everything away and was preparing to get in the truck to go home, it just didn't look so bad.  There was some thunder still, though.  But the girls feeding convinced me I could get on and just stay next to the barn in case the weather was not going away.  And they even tacked up for me.  Pony was out of her stall and dressed by the time I put my boots, helmet and gloves on.

She loves her fan

You dare interrupt the pony fan time?!?

And of course the weather did not come back.  It was gloriously sunny.  And hot.  And still.  And humid.  Gotta love Florida.



So we did a nice walk around the cross country fields and then did a little flat work/hack in the field closest to the barn, rinsed the girl off, cleaned tack and headed home.


Where I got home in time to take Luke out for a bit of a walk before dark.  We had a close encounter with a kitty for the first time.  Usually I cross the road to get away from the cats, but decided since he is getting better at not trying to chase them while on leash, we would keep walking.  Kitty was not moving.  Luke was good.  I think he really just wants to lick them.  Taste them a little bit.  Kitty was not impressed and Luke backed off on his own when it hissed.  The black one walked away before we got there.  A short mile and a half and we were back home for dinner, much chasing of lizards in the backyard, some TV for mom, and bed.

This week we are heading down to the boy's oldest daughter's high school graduation, and some riding this weekend.  I have to somehow get a full week's work done in two days.

2 comments:

  1. Ha Florida weather doesn't know what to do with itself! Glad you still got to ride tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been very upset with myself if I hadn't.

      Delete