Tuesday, May 24, 2016

My how quickly things change

Of course mere moments after I made my last post, things changed.



When texting Marcy for lunch instructions, I told her to have a great time at the show.  At which point she lets me know about an unplanned dismount that has resulted in her needing surgery to fix her broken clavicle.

Then Sunday morning during my morning walk with the dog, I turned my ankle off my own shoe and fell on the sidewalk.  I don't think there's anything really broken, but I have no skin on a good portion of my left leg. Yeah.  Ouch.



So that means no show this weekend.  Between the pony not getting worked and me not being able to wear pants, it's just not going to happen.  And no cross country school.  We'll get to it, it just won't be this weekend.

On a good note, I had a wonderful time at the barn Saturday.  It was just me and the three redheads; Violet, Charlie and Finn.  I fed lunch, filled hay bags and water, gave scritches, picked stalls, then took out my redhead for a ride.  We took a good long walk around the property and then spent some time in the dressage ring.  Then back to the barn where I rinsed off the girl and gave her her apple, cleaned tack and gave the stalls one last pick and the ponies one last scritch.  It was fantastic.  And makes me remember that I always liked that part.  There was a reason that I used to dream of being a groom.  If I could give up everything, I swear it's something I would love to do.  I may not know a whole lot, but I love to learn, and I am willing to learn the ways of whoever I would work for.  It's hard work, I know.  I did groom for the Marshall and Sterling Finals in NY once (where I got the nickname Juanita) and it was the hardest I have ever worked in my life.  But I loved every minute of it and look back on it fondly.

So...here's to changing plans and wearing pants...

4 comments:

  1. Ouch - that looks reeeeeally unpleasant :( it's always the best laid plans, huh. Sorry for the disappointing turn of events but hopefully you and Marcy are both feeling better asap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the well wishes. I'm sure we'll both be good in no time!

      Delete