Friday, May 6, 2016

Happy Friday!

I say I really don't have much to report.  The fact is that I have way too much to report, although none of it is horsey.  I got a new roommate in my brother.  We have been working to get some of his items taken care of so that he can actually pay me some rent.

The boy got the vehicle of his dreams.  It has been a logistical nightmare.  The dealer called the boy as soon as it hit the lot, before it was cleaned or anything.  He went to look at it after hours (like 2am after he closed the store) and decided it was the one.  We went up there 2 days later and did the deal.  Brought it back two days after because they hadn't detailed it yet.  They had it for 24 hours and did a half assed job, and when we got it home, we discovered it was leaking some fluid on the driveway.  Because the detail was half-assed, how likely that the inspection was as well?  So back it went.

After two texts from the salesman basically telling me they aren't going to do anything because it's used, and that he has other customers that are more important that me, I contacted his manager who got me a rental.  The boy is driving my truck, I'm in the rental, and they have had the jeep for two days.  Turns out there was a leak in the radiator that should have been picked up in the inspection.  So I'll be going to pick that up this afternoon.  Not the most practical of vehicles, since it does involve having to crawl up into it, but he's happy, and so what?  He's paying for it.

The new ride.  As yet unnamed.
Then the boy got a new puppy.  I say he's the boy's puppy, but...um...I really like him.  And he is a puppy. Big, but a puppy.  I happened to overhear a co-worker talking about two labs that washed out of a program down the street at her house, K9s for Warriors.  The boy went and took a look and decided he liked both the program and the puppy.  He has some lab in him, but he's mostly hound, I think.  He's from Georgia, about a year old, and obviously came from a neglect situation before he got to K9s.  He was in their program for 3 months, is crate and house trained, does well on a leash.  They say he washed out because he barked at the bus that they use to go places, and that could be a problem for someone with PTSD.  So far, with me, he has not barked at all.  The boy says he did give the little yippy dogs on the other side of the fence what-for the other day, but I understand that.  They say bad things, those yippy dogs. 


How could you not love this face?

We actually think it is more likely that he washed out because he has some...what we in the horse world would call mouthiness.  He is definitely a chewer, and when he plays he nips.  And he steals food.  When eating and drinking, he acts like he has never seen water or food before and never will again.  He's not aggressive if you try to touch him when eating or anything, but he does guard, and his food is gone in about 10 seconds.  

Unfortunately, while I just deal with it, and he is well behaved with me, the boy does not have much tolerance for it.  He does not seem to like this puppy as much as the last one.  But this is one I can see going places with us, and I'm sure we can get better about food and mouthiness as he grows up and as we continue his training.  Right now, he's really good at sit and stay for me, not so much for the boy.

Going for a long walk with mom.  Starts off tugging a bit, but that's just because mom is slow.

And this is one goofy boy.  He's all legs and big feet.  He currently weighs about 70 pounds, but he's still got growing to do.  So say hello to Luke.  I think this one is a keeper.

Lastly, I am heading down to the farm early from work to get a ride in.  Tomorrow we are showing at a very large local hunter/jumper show down the road from the farm.  Marcy will do a 2'3" jumper class with V to get her in the ring, and I'm doing two 2'6" classes.  Here's to staying on top, and keeping the poles in the cups.  Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. gooooooood luck tomorrow - i hope you have a ton of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And good luck to you this weekend as well!

      Delete