Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Revolution?

During my impromptu lesson last week, as we were walking to a dressage ring that had just freed up, Marcy was approached by a woman wearing a purple shirt, as if she had something important to say.  However, she was obviously trying to be discreet about it, looking around furtively like someone might overhear what she had to say.  She introduced herself (I cannot for the life of me remember the name) and said she had something for Marcy to give her rider, and pointed at me.  Now, she did not realize I had on a headset and could hear everything from on the other side of the ring, but it didn't matter.  She didn't say anything bad.

She hands Marcy a flier and says to give it to me, maybe I could look them up, they are a good group, she's a sponsored rider, blah blah blah.  Now, this was a woman of size.  I finally picked up on the fact that she was talking about a support group for plus sized women.  Specifically, the "English Plus Sized Rider" group from Facebook.  Yes, it is a thing.  And while I appreciate the fact that there is a support group for plus sized women out there, I admit I have mixed feelings.

When I told the boy about it and showed him the card, he asked if I asked her if she was calling me fat.  Of course I didn't.  That would be rude.  It would be pretty funny to see the expression on her face, though, cause that's kind of what she did.

Yes, I am a plus sized rider.  I will always be larger than the average.  I always have been.  I am heavier right now than I have been in a long time, but I'm working on it.  At the same time, I do not really wish to call attention to the fact that I'm bigger than I want to be.  For example, they have these shirts they are selling.



I would be fine with buying one if it was just the front stuff.  They are technical shirts, with good fabric and some nice colors.  But the stuff on the back?  Yeah, not so much.  I'm not a revolution type girl, I guess.

Otherwise, it was a good weekend.  Watched the oldest almost step-child graduate from high school.  All adult types minded their P's and Q's.  Came back and then drove to the barn Saturday for a ride on my own.  Then stayed home Sunday to recoup and prepare for big bad Storm Colin.  Other than a tornado warning at work that necessitated standing in stairwells for 20 minutes and ended with early dismissal (at like 4:30), it was pretty much just a regular rainy day.  Some neighborhoods got some big wind, but mine appears fine.

3 comments:

  1. I guess I can understand people who want to share about programs or whatever that have helped them personally.... But it's definitely a fine line. Also wouldn't it have been more appropriate for her to address you personally? idk that just seems weird and would probably rub me the wrong way too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I know I'm larger than average, but I've just never felt that the world had it against me. And, while I know in hunters the judging is subjective, it was that way when I was a kid and small, so I just never thought about it. It just seems kind of weird and insulting.

      Delete
  2. I am the creator of the English plus size rider. I am sorry that you felt uncomfortable. The goal of the Epsr is to change the equestrian worlds perception of plus size riders. To get more companies to produce larger sizes and to promote positive body image. We all know that the equestrian world (especially English) is geared towards thinner riders. But the Epsr is more then just for the plus size rider. Anyone is welcome. We have members of all shapes and sizes as well as illnesses and other disabilities. We are a safe haven where people can talk about things and not get bashed. If you have any questions please contact me

    ReplyDelete