Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Rocking Horse Winter I judging: Part I

This was a huge show.  In one day, I only judged two levels, Prelim and Training, and I believe some of the Prelim actually completed on Friday, so I didn't even see them all.  There were over 200 combinations judged between those two levels, and we were there from 9am until approximately 4.  The people who run this event do a fantastic job, and it is always a pleasure judging for them.

It was a beautiful day, starting out brisk, clearing up and getting quite warm, and then clouding up a bit and cooling back off.  I spent the day standing by the truck, rather than sitting in it, and got close to my 10K steps by walking in circles between rides.  I know Cindy in the booth probably thinks I'm nuts, but hey, I can't just sit there.

I will break this up into two parts, starting with Prelim, since that's how we started the day.
5A-B - Table to skinny chevrons
Another angle showing the bend
I had the first combination on course, 5A-B, which was a large table on a bending five to six strides to a skinny.  I was told I was placed there because I was guaranteed to see some action.  Yeah, not so much.  It was well placed, however, because I could see both waters as well as the trekhaner.  The second water caused the most problems on the course, as the footing was iffy in front of the "in" fence, as I was told by a trainer who was not happy.  I believe we had two falls in all of Prelim, one on the first water, once at the second.  All parties walked away with no reports of serious injury, and that is the best result we could ask for!
Random rider making short work of a massive table
And over the chevrons with no issues
My fences rode really well.  There were a few saint horses where the rider buried the horse to both parts of the fence, or didn't support them, or didn't have the right canter and had a bit of a scramble over them, but nothing that caused serious pucker factor, which was refreshing.  Prelim, especially Prelim Rider divisions tend to scare the bejeesus out of me.
I love a horse of a different color
Colorful pony has no problem with these
It was really nice to see so many riders simply take the fences at a nice forward pace.   There were really two rides that you could choose from here.  One choice was a straight, forward five where both fences were taken at a slight angle.  The second choice was a steady bending six strides.  If the rider dribbled over the first fence, then they would end up with a sticky six.  I know I saw at least two sevens, one that was not on purpose (chip), and one that was (nice uphill bouncy canter).  The fences were situated on a slight downward slope.  I had not a single stop the entire morning.
From the colors, I think this might be Caroline Martin?
From my fence, riders continued down the hill over one fence and to the first water, which I believe was a drop into the water, through, up a bank and over a fence.  I could then see when they came back to the second water, which was a rolltop, through the water to another rolltop.  The first rolltop is where the problems occurred.  They eventually put some gravel in the takeoff of that one because it got deep.    From there is was a gallop back up the hill I was on to the trakhener in the fenceline.  I really enjoyed watching the riders gallop up the hill.  A few of them got really forward until about 6 strides from the trakhener, where they balanced for the fence.  Not a single horse stopped at that, either.  It was really a good forward course that just did not seem to have too much in the way of issues.  A few horses had additional refusals at the steps, which they took down in Prelim, including one who apparently just launched off the top and jumped all of the steps in one go, instead of bouncing down them.  Whoever it was stayed on, and they went through the flags, so...
Buck galloping up the hill on one of his many rides
I did get to see a couple of people walking the course, including Jon Holling.

Jon Holling walking away
The clouds made for some spectacular viewing between horses.
Clouds were doing strange things

They were very interesting

 And now we begin my stalking of Buck Davidson.


Buck and Park Trader

Buck and Park Trader over 5B







I swear, the man is one of the most balanced riders I've ever seen.  I know it's because he rides six thousand a day, but still.  Love to watch his leg.

I would properly identify each of these but, while I kept my score sheets, my roster has disappeared and I can't get to results on the Rocking Horse website.  I have the numbers, but, well, the best laid plans, you know.  I'll do better next weekend, I promise.

2 comments:

  1. great pictures - looks like such a fun day!! i always get so inspired watching the pros (and talented amateurs) get it done. that forward balanced ride to the fences is always something i personally struggle with, and yet they make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always in awe when I judge cross country. Especially since I just don't know that I'll ever get there.

      Delete