Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Tooth pain and toilets

I had this big plan to put out a fantastic review of the Prelim judging I did over the weekend.  There were over 120 riders across 6 divisions, so there is plenty to talk about, and I got some great pictures. Unfortunately, plans have changed and I have to leave work in a bit to go have a root canal.  Not what I planned for a Wednesday morning, but alas, that is what I am going to be doing, instead of putting together all the pictures. and witty remarks.


See, my teeth appear to be falling out of my head.  I had really good teeth growing up, with the exception of them being close together and developing soft spots between the molars.  I sucked my thumb as a very young child, but chose at 6 to have a permanent "appliance" installed to break me of that and allow my teeth to go back to where they needed to be.  I never had braces or retainers, and I only had to have two wisdom teeth pulled.  I think that means either 1) I didn't have much wisdom to start with or 2) I got to keep some of what I had.

Apparently when you turn 40, all that changes.  All those "soft spots" they were watching for 30 years decided now to need correcting.

Then my dentist retired.  He was a close friend.  Then he died in a plane crash in his backyard.  His daughter was my hygenist.  She retired as well.  The dentist that bought his practice closed it about four years ago and moved to an area of town I'm not interested in traveling to.

I went to a dental clinic on the side of town by work.  The dentist was...unfriendly at best.  They did a crappy job in my opinion on a couple of cavities, and when I went in for a root canal, I ended up hiding under a desk with the dental assistant, worried that the guy that had just thrown the dentist up against the wall while screaming that they had "ruined his grill" would come back and shoot up the place.  Needless to say, I still don't have the crown on that tooth, because I refused to go back.

One of my fillings fell out a few months ago.  I was still looking for a new dentist.  Then last week, that tooth broke in half.  Still no real pain.  Until this morning.  This morning it woke me up about 2am, and I've not really slept since.

So I called my boss's dentist.  They offered an appointment at 7am...on March 11.  When I explained what was really going on, the lady then made an additional appointment to see the doctor this morning.  The 3/11 appointment is for a cleaning.  I am floored that a doctor will see me to correct something like that before he's even met me, but I am not complaining.  Hi-ho-hi-ho, it's off to the dentist I go.  I look forward to completing my work day with no feeling to my face.  Is that the definition to the song "Can't feel my face" by The Weekend?  Or maybe "My name's blurry face" from Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots?


Oh, and for the third time in two weeks, we have no working toilets at work because someone keeps putting stacks of paper towels down them.

This may be the cause
Update:  Now they are bringing in "luxury restroom trailers" for our convenience.  Which will be fantastic when it starts raining.  They will be located next to the dumpsters.  So if you have parked over there, move your car.  I have never laughed so hard at work in my life.  Guess I'll use the bathroom at the dentist's office.

Happy Wednesday, ya'll!

2 comments:

  1. yikes, good luck with the dental work and 'luxury' trailers!! :( hopefully putting together the jump judging post and pics will make you feel better?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up having to have the tooth removed and will have an implant put in later.
      And the toilets are backed up because someone put plastic bags and coffee cup lids down the toilet. At this point we're thinking sabotage, because, seriously...

      Delete