Monday, February 1, 2016

Frustrating farriers and fantastic care

For once I'm not going to complain about my own foot, because that appears to have healed.  I've been back on the elliptical with it, and it gave me no problems at the show on Saturday.

This weekend I judged on Saturday at Rocking Horse Winter I.  It was such a beautiful day, crisp and clear in the morning, and quite warm during the day.

A beautiful start.  My prelim combination.

I can say I walked away with quite the sunburn on the back of my neck.  I was not able to do more than one day, as I needed to work on Sunday.

Lovely selfy with my training fence (the steps)

I went by the barn twice during my shift to say hello to the team, as Ginny was making her move up to Novice and Marcea was taking Riley around at Training.  No one was in the barn either time.  No one other than my pony, that is.  The first time I went in, her hay net was on the ground, but she was picking at it anyway, so I hung it back up for her.  The second time I went in, at lunchtime, this is was I was greeted by:

Pretty girl can do no wrong.

So I got new hay string and rehung it.  I must say, though, how cute is that face?  She was exceptionally cute on Saturday for some reason.

After judging was done, I went by the barn on the way back to turn in my gear and saw Marcy washing Riley.  I said something about going to change clothes to get a ride in, and she looked at me and said "we need to talk about the pony-girl".  Uh-oh.  Not good.

Long story short, Violet is off in the front.  She apparently came in Wednesday morning off.  Not really lurching lame, just off.  Short-strided.  Ouchy.  We have seen this from the sensitive footed mare before. Back before I put shoes on her, specifically.  When she would mince across the ground like a barefooted person walking across sharp rocks.

So Marcy pulls her out of the stall and starts walking her.  I had not noticed her feet were wrapped because she was in her stall and the shavings covered them up pretty well.  Besides, the wrap job was fantastic!  She is indeed short strided, more so when turning to the right than left, but obviously uncomfortable in the front. She saw the farrier on Tuesday and was off on Wednesday.  Hmm.

I didn't take the best pics when I had her on the cross ties, but here are some in the stall.







All I can say is what the heck?  Looking a little short there, I think.  Well no wonder the girl is not comfy. Fortunately, it's just a bad trim and should grow out in a week, but really?  This is the same guy that cut her frog and didn't say anything.  I'm concerned, especially since I can't be there to talk to him.  But no one else has had a problem with him, so I guess we'll just keep on with the program.    

UPDATE:  As of this morning (2/1) reports are that the girl is (and I quote) "Sound and sassy!"  So that's good.  I still think they are on the short side, though.

I was pissed that I didn't get to ride.  I only get one day a week and to not have that really kind of sucks, but Violet is getting the best of care.  I got a text yesterday saying she was much better.  She's getting some bute, is being turned out at night to keep everything moving, and has hoof pack under the wraps.  There's nothing more to be done other than give her time.  I'm just disappointed with this farrier.  I don't understand why he wouldn't see this.

Anyway, on a good note, everyone had good runs, cross country while I was there was really quite as far as issues go, and we had some exciting news come up.  Marcea and Ginny bought Riley, so he's officially a part of the Market Street Team!  I look forward to seeing where this big guy will go.

Marcy and Riley clear a Training fence

2 comments:

  1. aw what a bummer about the bad trim, that would seriously annoy me. might be worth chatting more with Marcea about it? anyway tho, so glad you got to get down and watch some good cross country!!! it's hard to even imagine right now in our world - but that time will come again soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do chat about it, and there haven't been problems with anyone else. Sometimes I think if you have the one that is good and doesn't make a fuss, things get overlooked or helpers get to give it a go and stuff like that. It could just be that we have been unlucky. That also happens.
      And yes, here I am worrying about sunburn, and you are up there trying to de-snow your ring!

      Delete