Thursday, April 27, 2017

Just not the year

I haven't posted anything because I have yet to figure anything out.  Work was crazy at the beginning of the year.  Then just a bunch of stuff has kept me from actually getting to the barn or getting real consistent ride time in.  When you can only ride on the weekends, only getting in an average of 3 rides a month does not allow for even maintaining what we managed to have going before the beginning of the year.  I know Violet is in fantastic hands and will be ready for anything I want to do, and ready for anything that I can afford for her to do without me.  Unfortunately, that is yet something else that is holding us back right now.  I have a rental property that is actually costing me money that needs sold, and plenty of things that need to be taken care of at the house we live in (mostly plumbing issues, lovely), a step-daughter that is graduating from high-school and needed help buying a car, a trip to Italy for two weeks with my Dad in August, and a first anniversary trip in September.  This is all preventing me from doing something like...oh, maybe getting my boots fixed?  I have two pair of custom boots, and have grown out of both pair.  The one that mostly fit (damned bulbous calves) became traitorous and the zipper is now non-functional, so I've been riding in an old pair.  Said old pair were thrown in the trash last night due to the leather cracking and peeling off and the zippers being metal and actually scratching my saddle.  So I'm riding in my river boots.  Or half chaps, which I hate.  Anyway, new boots, a new bridle for Violet, fees for any shows by me or anyone else, all these things are on hold.  I think, as I sit here at work watching Rolex and dreaming of the day when I can actually go watch, that this is just the year that riding wasn't, you know?  And I have to figure out how to be ok with that.  Because let me tell you, the husband is really tired of seeing me be upset about not being able to get there.

On a good note, I did manage to take the dog to the barn once this month, and he wasn't too bad.  I can see other day trips in the future.  And I am making it down this weekend for both days, which will be nice.  Of course, I will die, because I live in AC and it. is.  HOT!  But at least I will die with my pony.


2 comments:

  1. sorry it's been so tough lately! horses have a way of always being there tho when you're ready to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I have first world problems, and I know it. I know Vi will be ready when I am, due to her wonderful care. I try not to write the Debbie Downer posts, but...well, today was just one of those days.

      Delete